Friday, September 2, 2016

First Week of School

Well, summer break is officially over! Went by pretty fast, but it's bitter sweet. Having all four kids home all day was pretty crazy. I didn't even recognize myself when I looked in the mirror. My hair, which I usually flat-iron straight, was in its natural curly form. The only problem was, it was beyond frizzy, so in the bun it went! #Frizzyhairdontcare (wish I had looked at this earlier, thank you MarieClaire). Most days I was so exhausted that all I could apply to my face was mascara, I made myself believe that no one will notice. In case you are wondering...they noticed. Thinking back, I gave myself the excuse that summer welcomed the hot mess look with open arms. But now school has begun. Bye bye lazy summer days! 

My oldest daughter is in third grade now and my second oldest daughter started pre-kindergarten! On the first day of school, my oldest could barely contain herself. She zipped right into class, leaving me in the dust. I said hello to her teacher and tried to get my daughters attention so I could leave, but that was like asking your dog to do tricks while he's eating a bone. Her teacher went over to her and asked her if she was going to say goodbye to me. She seemed to completely forget I had walked her into class and said "oh yeah!" while rushing over to me. Not sure if she was rushing to give me a hug or rushing so she could get back with her friends. I felt a little sad about the whole thing, but just like my third grader couldn't wait to get rid of me, my preschooler wanted me to be part of her class.

DISCLAIMER: Ok so to clarify, she has never been away from me since she was born. I worked right up until she was born and then decided to be a stay-at-home mom ever since. Granted I owned an In-Home Daycare business, so she still  had the chance to socialize with other children, however, it was in my home. 

First day of school was ok. She didn't cry, she didn't beg me to stay, she didn't cling to me. I felt pretty good about the whole thing. Pre-K is only 3 hours (VPK). When I picked her up, she was excited to see me and it looked like she had fun. I was super excited as she told me all about her day. That night, however, was a different story. About 30 minutes before bed time, she asked if she had to go back to school. I was completely taken back. I thought she was excited for school and couldn't wait to get back  For a second I thought maybe she was just saying that because her bedtime got changed to an earlier time and she didn't want to go to bed. But then the horror passed through me. She didn't like school. Leading up to the first day of school, her favorite thing to play was school. She would pretend she had homework and would play for countless hours. Now that real school arrived, it wasn't like how she imagined it and it scared her. I wanted to hug her and tell her she didn't have to go back to real school ever again. 

But then sense knocked me on the head and I realized how badly I wanted her to like school. I was excited for her to start learning how to read, to write her letters and count to 20. I told her that school might seem scary at first because its new, but it is actually a lot of fun. And if she didn't go back to school, her new friends would miss her. She decided to give it another try. 

...Or so I thought...

Second day of school. I walked her to her classroom. I reminded her of all her "morning duties". I noticed she was being extra clingy. While she was completing her final duty, I told her I was going to leave and bent down for a hug and kiss. She wrapped her arms around me and literally wouldn't let me leave. So I decided to stay a little longer to make her feel more comfortable. Mistake #1. I kept trying to direct her to play with her classmates but she wouldn't let go of my hand. This was like a stage 5 clinger. Ok so at this point, I had been there for 40 minutes - Mistake #2. The teacher then basically said I am just going to have to go and she's going to cry, but then she will be better. I agreed to this plan that I had zero faith in. 

So, I walked out of the room and the teacher blocked the door. Then the teacher had to hold her back basically because my daughter was screaming "Mommy" and crying hysterically. She was determined to break free from the blockade and come running to me. I rushed to my car and literally started to cry. The look on her face was as if I had just left her with people who were going to strap her down and experiment on her brain. I was anxious for the next 2 hours. I left the house a little earlier than usual. I slowly crept up to her classroom door and peeked through the window. There she was, sitting on the carpet, next to her classmates and engaged in what the teacher was saying. A couple of the little girls in her class saw me and yelled "Your mom's here!" Her face lit up and she came over to me for a hug. Her teacher told me when I had left, she stood at the door, looking out the window, for about 20 minutes, until it was time to go outside and play. Then she warmed up after that. The next three days kept getting better and better. And her teacher kept giving me reports every afternoon, which I greatly appreciated. Hopefully the second week is better than the first!

No comments:

Post a Comment